Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolutions Revisited

Happy 2012 to my faithful followers and friends!

As I reflect on the past year I can't help but feel old.  Not old in the achy joints, wrinkles and orthopedic shoes way (although a recent Zumba Toning class has awakened muscles I didn't know I had...ouch!), but old in the "where did the last year go?" way.  It was a year ago, January of 2011, that I began this blog as a New Year's Resolution.  And though memory is subject to lapses and faulty recollections, I believe this blog may very well be the first resolution I've ever kept for the duration of a calendar year.  My 2011 writing journey included: 
  • 31 blog posts (or an average of 2-3 per month) and 13 official "followers."
  • A month spent with other teacher writers over the summer through the Denver Writing Project where I generated 3 "polished" pieces and, more importantly, acquired over a dozen new friends
  • A small paid writing gig through the Teacher Leaders Network where I submitted my first "long" piece in December, and signed a contract where I committed to write and participate in this "Writer's Guild" through June of 2012.
  • Acceptance as a finalist in a 250 word essay contest through Las Olas Surf Safari where many readers supported me by voting for my blurb.
  • An invitation to participate in a professional learning and curriculum writing cohort through the National Writing Project.
  • The completion of two Lighthouse Writer's Workshop courses where I sat next in awe, learning beside real authors...
So apparently, it IS possible to keep a resolution.  Especially if your resolution involves doing something you love.  Who knew?

What will this year bring?  Only time will tell.  But in the meantime, thank you for taking the time to read, comment and encourage me.  Thank you for being a part of my writing journey.

And for this year?  I'll resolve...to keep writing.

1 comment: