Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Exercise #2 - Why do you write?

Moore asks writers to explore this question in his second exercise on pg. 6: "Why do you write?"


I write to think.  I write to learn, to process, to ponder and question.  I write to respond to others, to communicate through print instead of spoken words.  I write because writing feels more permanent and purposeful than just talking.  I write to let others know how I feel and to feel others out...I write to remember - grocery lists, calendar items, weekly to do's.  I write for practical and passionate reasons.  I am still learning and exploring why I write...maybe I should have saved this exercise for further down the writing path? 


This is how far I have to go...listen to what Terry Tempest Williams wrote in her essay, "Why I Write:"


"I write to discover.  I write to uncover.  I write to meet my ghosts...I write because it is dangerous, a bloody risk, like love, to form the words...I write as though I am whispering in the ear of the one I love."  


Whew...good, deep stuff.  I'm gonna sleep on those words tonight and hope they 'sink' in to my inner-creative psyche and help me with tomorrow's writing endeavor - exercise #3, which sounds super scary - "The Flood of Memory."

No comments:

Post a Comment