Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's The End of the World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine

May 21, 2011...and the social networking sites, religious zealots, and anyone the least bit superstitious is preparing for the Rapture and the "end of the world."  I'm not buying into the hype, but both the serious and tongue-in-cheek predictions got me thinking - if today was the end of the world (as we know it), how would I spend my last day?  Perhaps more importantly, do I live my life like it is the last day - prioritizing what's most important?  Is this even possible, entrenched in a national culture that believes we work hard today and for most of our lives to hopefully, one day retire and "enjoy" life?  


So, just in case today really is it -- here are some of the perks as I see it:
* I totally get out of cleaning my house and all things domestic this weekend...after all, what's the point? I definitely don't want to last be seen with vacuum and dust rag in hand.
* It's 9:58 a.m. and I'm still in my super-soft bathrobe with a fresh cup of coffee, brewed lovingly by my Kewpie, in hand...with no sense of urgency to move out of my bathrobe until I care to...
* I have plans to spend the evening with 'loved ones' - dinner with dear friends (and sushi and sake) and a U2 concert where we'll be part of a sea of likely peaceful, tipsy, groovy humanity.  
* My bills are paid.
* No calorie counting necessary today :).
* After a week of bizarre thunderstorms, hail and even snow in mid/late May (you never know what trick Mother Nature is going to play on Colorado) the sun is shining today and it feels like a "typical" spring day in the well-hydrated Rocky Mountains.  
* When I'm done with this post, I'm going to call my mom and tell her I love her, part of a weekly ritual that is sometimes lost in the shuffle of busy schedules, but very much at the top of my to-do list today as I think about what's really important.


So, with faith and belief in a Higher Power on my side, I can honestly take a deep breath and concur with R.E.M. that if it is the end, I do indeed feel fine...in fact, in honor of U2's 360 Tour Denver debut tonight, I feel more than fine...it is indeed, a "Beautiful Day." 

No comments:

Post a Comment